Why Local First?
- Because you live here. Supporting local businesses keeps a greater percentage of each dollar in our local community compared to national chains. This money is cycled back into our local economy keeping it strong, vibrant and diverse.
- Because thinking locally encourages investment in Chico. A growing body of economic research shows, in an increasingly homogenized world, entrepreneurs & skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities who preserve their unique businesses and distinctive character.
- For competition and diversity. A marketplace of many small businesses ensures innovation and low prices over the long-term. A multitude of businesses selecting products and services based on local need and interest, rather than a national sales plan, guarantees a broader range of choices.
- Because our one-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of our distinctive character. The unique character of Chico is what brought us here and will keep us here. Our tourism businesses also benefit. “When people go on vacation they generally seek out destinations that offer them the sense of being someplace, not just anyplace.” –Richard Moe, President, National Historic Preservation Trust
- For a reduced environmental impact. Locally owned businesses who purchase local reduce transportation needs. Generally, local businesses keep closer to town or in centrally located business centers. Together, these reduce sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and pollution.